Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Night photography!

As promised I'm posting some of my photos from my night photography session on the Museumplein with Michael. :-). I'm quite happy with the results, and it was a really nice night to be out. I have to admit we looked a tad funny carrying our tripods on the tram, although Amsterdamers have seen much weirder things. Once we both set up though, I think we were pretty much in the zone. Let me know what you think about the photos!
The beautiful and famous Rijksmuseum.
The Rijksmuseum (State Museum), which dates from 1876 and opened in 1885 houses a large collection of paintings from the Dutch Golden Age as well as a substantial collection of Asian art. The collection includes paintings by Frans Hals, Johannes Vermeer and Rembrandt as well as many of Rembrandt's pupils and many more artists. Some of the most famous paintings are Rembrandt's The Night Watch, and one of my favorites, Johannes Vermeer's The Milkmaid. Only part of the collection is currently on view as from 2003 until 2010 (or later) the building has been undergoing continuous renovations and repairs.
 Van Gogh Museum and Concertgebouw (on left)
In 1999, an elliptical exhibition wing was added to the Vincent Van Gogh Museum which opened in 1973. The Van Gogh museum houses the largest collection in the world of work by Vincent Van Gogh including one of his famed sunflower still lifes. To the left of the exhibition wing is the Concertgebouw (Concert Hall) which opened in 1888. It is home to the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra (Koninklijk Concertgebouweorkest).

That's all for now... I'll post a bit more later as I went wandering last night with my camera.

Cheers!
-T

No comments: