Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Amsterdam Street Photography

I haven't been feeling extremely creative lately, so I was not extremely optimistic about Amsterdam Street Photography, an event through Meetin.org. Meetin is a website where members host events for other members (in English), mostly ex-pats. I've been to about 5 events, and I met Larissa and other friends through the site. Anyway, Amsterdam Street Photography is basically just whoever RSVPs and shows up with a camera to whichever neighborhood has been chosen. This event was specifically supposed to focus on night photography - although when the city doesn't get completely dark until around 10:30 pm, it was more like photography at dusk (we started at 8:30.) Despite not feeling creative I actually was quite happy with the results of the evening. My first offering tonight is a self-portrait, taken in a shop window on a little street I probably never would have ventured down if it wasn't for this event. 
After my initial reluctance of being in a group of people all carrying cameras and looking very touristy (luckily there were only 6, not 20) - I had a pretty enjoyable time. We ended up joining up with another Meetin event - expat night at an Irish Pub called Molly Malones, where they were of course watching another Euro game - Sweden v. Greece (Sweden scored both of the goals during the time we were there.) After the game, I headed back out with the last two people, Martin and Michael, who walked me to Central Station to catch a tram home, and where I took one of my favorite photos of the night...
To see more images from Amsterdam Street Photography click here (link should work now). That's it for this evening... thanks for continuing to read my blog and view my images!

Best,
T

No comments: