Thursday, June 19, 2008

Jet lag...

It's 3:45 am here in Davenport which means it's 10:45 am in Amsterdam, so of course I'm wide awake. I guess having a fairly normal sleep schedule in Amsterdam is going to wreak havoc jet lag wise. Oh well... it happens :-).

Anyway, you my dear readers are benefiting, because I'm sitting down to write this overdue post!

On Monday, my friend Silas and I went to check out the Dappermarkt. I'm not sure what I was expecting... but I guess I had high hopes after reading that the market was ranked in the top ten shopping streets (in the world) by National Geographic Traveler. I guess if you are looking for a head scarf, then you have come to the right plac
e to find one in any color imaginable... otherwise I'd say go to Albert Cuyp Market in de Pijp - especially if you are searching for a large selection of food products.
Neither Silas nor I bought anything, before we decided to check out the Tropenmuseum. According to their website, "in the Tropenmuseum you can take a trip through the world and through time. Thousands of stories, splendid works of art and amazing objects bring a wide variety of cultures to life. The Tropenmuseum is one of Europe's leading ethnographic museums, renowned for its collection." The museum is absolutely gorgeous... and massive! We managed to check out only the top floor (we'll go back for the rest another time) where we learned all about various African, Middle Eastern, and Latin-American countries and their people. Please enjoy the view from the top floor... 
Just FYI - those globe looking things on the floor are all chairs, similar to beanbags - but more comfortable! After sitting down on them, both Silas and I declared we each wanted one... I'm not sure how easy it would be to get that home on a bike or the tram though!

Cheers for now... I'm going to attempt to get a few more hours of sleep, but I think it might be difficult with the birds chirping outside!

More later.

-T

No comments: